In a presentation that did not remotely resemble the feared Paul Philo from his Pride days, the Brazilian ended up being surpassed by Chael Sonnen, in the unanimous decision of the judges, at WEC-36, an event that ended recently, in Florida, United States. The American, with the right tactics, dominated the Brazilian from start to finish, without surrendering to the black belt's dangerous ground game, breaking Paulão's 16 fight unbeaten run.
In another surprise of the night, one of the best pound-for-pound fighters in the world, Urijah faber was surprised by ATT athlete Mike Thomas Brown, losing by technical knockout in the first round.
In the preliminary fights, the highlights were the Brazilians, Rani Yaya who passed the former Pancrase champion, Yoshiro Maeda, with a guillotine choke at 3:30 of the first round and José Aldo who defeated Jonathan Brookins via TKO in the third round. Rafael Dias, who was making his debut at the event, was defeated by Danny Castillo via TKO in the second round. Check out the full results:
– Mike Brown won Urijah faber by TKO in the 1st round;
- Chael Sonnen won Paulo Filho in the jury’s decision;
– Leonard Garcia beat Jens Pulver by TKO in the 1st round;
– Jake Rosholt defeated Nissen Osterneck by TKO in the 2nd round;
- Donald Cerrone beat Rob McCullough in the judges' decision;
– Aaron Simpson defeated David Avellan by KO in the 1st round;
- Jose aldo beat Jonathan Brookins by TKO in the 3rd round;
– Carmelo Marrero beat Steve Steinbeiss in the judges’ decision;
– Danny Castillo beat Rafael Dias by TKO in the 2nd round;
- Rani Yaya beat Yoshiro Maeda with a guillotine choke in the 1st round;